July 2013 Chapter Board Meeting Minutes

American Public Works Association

Colorado Chapter Board Meeting Minutes

Friday, July 19, 2013

2:00 p.m.

Terry L. Perkins Public Works Building

Breckenridge, Colorado

 


Present:

Steve Glammeyer

Pete Adler

John Kirk

Dave Zelenok

James Phelps

Jim Hougnon

Greg Hall

John McCarty

John Harris

Lesley Thomas

Bob Manwaring

Ken Linhardt

Pamela Weimer


Excused Absences:

Jodi Lessman

Paul Hindman

Terry Rogers

Michelle Stevens

Guests:

Terry Perkins

Laura Kroeger

Abel Moreno

Scott Murphy

 

1. Call to Order  (Steve Glammeyer)

Steve Glammeyer, President, called the meeting to order at 2:08 p.m. and thanked everyone for coming.  The group did self-introductions.  Steve Glammeyer congratulated John Harris and the City of Montrose for being awarded designation as an All-America City by the National Civic League.

2. Approval of Minutes – January 2013 Meeting  (John Kirk)

The April 18, 2013 minutes were distributed in the agenda package emailed to the Board members prior to the meeting. Jim Hougnon motioned to approve the minutes as submitted and Terry Rogers seconded the motion.  The minutes were approved unanimously.

3. Treasurer’s Report  (Pete Adler)

Pete Adler in Jodi Lessman’s absence reviewed the Treasurer’s Report that had been included in the agenda package and highlighted a few items.

               • The Chapter is still overall in a good position.

               • The Management+ Conference had revenue of approximately $10,000 this year.

               • Spring golf’s revenue was approximately $800.

               • Upcoming expenses include the fall golf tournament, West Slope Snow & Ice Conference and the Western Snow & Ice Conference.

               • Midyear financials are due to National APWA in August and Jodi has them close to completion.

Jim Hougnon motioned to approve the Treasurer’s Report.  John McCarty seconded and the report was unanimously approved.

4. West Slope Branch Update  (Greg Hall)

Greg Hall reported that the Western Slope Snow & Ice Conference in Gunnison will be held September 5 & 6.  Marlene Crosby puts this conference on each year for west slope agencies at the Gunnison Fairgrounds.

Steve Glammeyer stated that the Spring Street Conference was quite successful this year with registrations up as well as number of vendors.  This was the first year it was held at the Clarion Inn and the change of venue not only saved money but was well received. 

5. Chapter Delegate Report  (Steve Glammeyer in Paul Hindman’s absence)

Paul Hindman submitted the complete delegate report in the agenda package. If board members have questions about anything contained in the report, questions can be sent to Paul Hindman.  Paul had noted that registration for the Emerging Leaders Academy is still open.  Laura Kroeger commented that her experience with this leadership skills program with a public works focus had been quite positive; interesting and a great opportunity to network with others in the field from around the country.

6. Director’s Reports

Lesley Thomas said that the City & County of Denver is working to generate interest in the Public Works Institute.  Denver had their own snow roadeo in June and the winners will attend the Snow & Ice Conference in Estes Park in September. 

Jim Hougnon will work on submitting for the PACE award in 2014.  It requires nominating a leader for the Top Ten Public Works Leaders as well as projects to National APWA.  Jim, Steve Glammeyer and Pamela Weimer will work on the submissions.

Pete Adler notes that the Chapter Dinner will be held Monday, August 26 in Chicago.  It will be a dinner cruise leaving from Navy Pier.  Flyers have been distributed and registration is open.  One sponsor had signed up so far.  If the price is able to be reduced from sponsorships, reimbursements will be issued.  He also mentioned that there is a White Sox game on Tuesday and if anyone attending Congress is interested, please contact Pete and he will look into tickets for the group.

John Kirk mentioned that he recently had a great experience when he presented the City of Boulder’s award for the 2013 Medium Community Boulder/CU Multimodal Improvement Project to the Mayor and City Council.

Terry Perkins remarked that he thought the invites for the Past Presidents to attend this year’s Awards Banquet were very nice.

7. Committee Reports

Fall Golf Tournament:  The tournament will be held on September 23 at Perry Park in Larkspur.  The rate will be $75 for public works employees and $95 for other registrants.  The fee covers lunch, green fees, range balls, cart and prizes.  The committee will be seeking sponsorships.  Ken Linhardt mentioned that they are looking for information on Jim Murray to include in the advertising.  Anyone with a suggestion for a 2014 location should contact Ken.

State All Hazards Advisory Committee:  Mike Sutherland had issued a report that was included in the agenda package summarizing recent work and decisions by the committee.  After considerable discussion the group voted to continue as SAHAC, but hold meetings only quarterly and have the first quarter meeting occur at the CEMA annual conference. The remaining meetings will continue at the State EOC, with the same memberships and bylaws.

Management+ Conference:  John Kirk reported that the conference had seen an increase in attendance and sponsorship this year.  The committee will be meeting August 1st to review this year’s conference and surveys as well as the board’s decisions at this meeting concerning the Annual Meeting.

Leadership & Management:  Dan Hartman is looking for three or four people from Colorado to submit an article recognizing someone within their agency.  The article needs to be 400-600 words with a photo.  Lesley Thomas will do the first article and will submit it to Dan Hartman directly.  If you are interested, please contact Dan at dhartman@cityofgolden.net.

8. Past President’s Action Plan Update  (Steve Glammeyer)

Chapter Activities Review Committee:  The committee will meet August 14 to review the information compiled from the committee questionnaires sent out earlier this spring.  The committee will look to issue recommendations at that time.

Annual Meeting  (Abel Moreno)

               Abel Moreno, Michelle Stevens and Pamela Weimer have had several conference calls to discuss holding a Chapter Annual Meeting.  The group felt that the new conference could be the most successful by combining with a currently successful event.  They recently had a conference call with the chairs of the Management+ Conference.  It was suggested the Management+Conference would be the most natural fit and the committee would then look to include tracks for all aspects of the Chapter’s demographic.  The group discussed the following:

               • Date:  The group discussed time of year as related to other conferences within the Chapter as well as other professional organization’s conferences, weather, tying it to a seasonal event (i.e. Oktoberfest).  The Board feels that the Chapter calendar is currently frontloaded and did not want to completely skip a year so the preference was to look at October 2014.

               • Location:  The committee felt it would be best to hold the conference in Denver this first year as being centrally located with highest population.  The attendees could then be surveyed to find out preference for other locations.  The location could be moved around the state each year or alternated between two locations in order to help with outreach around the state.  It was also suggested to hold it at the new DIA hotel in 2016 as a way of showcasing the public works projects that were done during the South Terminal expansion.  The Board agreed that it would be best to hold it in Denver the first year. 

               • Budget:  The committee will need seed money for deposits in order to secure a location.  John Kirk motioned to approved making the Management+ Conference funds available for use of the combined Annual Meeting/Management+ Conference.  Jim Hougnon seconded and the Board approved the motion.

Abel will meet with the group on August 1 and discuss the recommendation of the Board to look at an October 2014 conference to be held in Denver.  The committee will discuss these issues and the program and will submit a report at the September Board meeting.

9. Public Works Institute  (Laura Kroeger)

Laura Kroeger reported that the committee has been meeting and has received applications for the 2013-2014 sessions of the Institute.  The committee would like to see attendance of 15-20 this first year.  At this point, it would be preferred to not limit attendance so that we can provide this instruction to as many interested agencies as possible.  In the future, there will be marketing done in nearby states since Arizona is the only state nearby that also has a PWI.  It is important that each director promote and provide applicants.  Brochures were provided to the Board to take back to their agencies as well as hand out.

The group continues to work on the curriculum and instructors.  Laura will send out the curriculum to the Board so they can review to see if they have recommendations for instructors on specific topics.  There is a PowerPoint and outline for each topic that just needs to be tailored to the instructor’s specific experience.

It was decided to provide $1,000 in scholarships this session.  It will be distributed on a first come, first served basis.

An option for the 2014-2015 sessions would be to break it into three day sessions on a quarterly basis in order to reduce travel expenses.

John McCarty stated that he, Dan Hartman and Jim Swanson are presenting at the September session and are looking for unique ideas or unusual items within your agency.  They are also looking for Public Works photos to use in the presentation.  Lesley Thomas said she could put John in touch with a City & County of Denver contact that may be able to help with photos.  Any suggestions can be sent to John at jmccarty@semswa.org.

10. Next meeting, date, time and location

The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, September 25, 2013 in Estes Park during the Western Snow & Ice Conference.  A couple of directors had a conflict with that date so the group discussed moving the meeting to Thursday.  Pamela Weimer will contact the committee and the hotel to see if the date can be changed and notify Board members by email.

UPDATE:  The September Board meeting has been moved to Thursday, September 26, 2013, 1:30pm in the Blue Spruce Room of the Estes Park Conference Center.

11. Adjournment

Steve Glammeyer adjourned the meeting at 3:36 p.m.


 

You have been logged out...

You have been logged out of the system due to inactivity. Please login again.

Loading...